Listening to Gods Whispered Word in Prayer and Meditation
God constantly speaks to us in sighs too deep for words. Every moment is a revelation that calls us toward new horizons of healing and wholeness. Your spiritual journey is unique and unrepeatable.
Today, physicists speak of the universe as omni-centered. That means that everywhere is the center of the universe. Long before the quantum physics, Christian mystics reflected on the Holy Adventure in the following words:
God is the circle
Whose center is everywhere
And whose circumference
Prayer is simply opening to Gods life within your life. Prayer is listening to Divine Wisdom and then expressing our deepest desires and needs for ourselves and the world. Jesus once said, ask and it will be given to you. While we dont always know what is best for ourselves, we discover our deepest needs in the process of asking and listening to the Divine Wisdom. Prayer is not magic, but a path of opening and awakening to a Guidance deeper than our own.
Prayer is always personal, but it is never private. Its not about us, but about mending the world. Our prayers are answered when our desires align themselves with Gods deepest desire for the world. Prayer changes things, but more importantly, it allows us to be Gods partners in transforming the world.
For thoughts on prayer, I invite you to explore these books on spirituality and wholeness:
- Gods Touch: Faith, Wholeness, and the Healing Miracles of Jesus (Westminster/John Knox)
- Mending the World: Spiritual Hope for Ourselves and Our Planet, written with Rabbi Lewis Solomon (Innisfree/Augsburg)
- Walking in the Light: A Jewish-Christian Vision of Healing and Wholeness , written with Rabbi Lewis Solomon (Chalice Press)
- Finding Angels in Boulders: An Interfaith Discussion on Dying and Death, written with Rabbi Lewis Solomon (Chalice Press)
- The Call of the Spirit: Process Spirituality in a Relational World, written with John B. Cobb and Paul Nancarrow (Process and Faith Press)